Are there other significant symptoms besides fever?
Is the patient under 3 months old and not had a shot
Is the fever staying above 103 degrees?
Has there been fever
for over 48 hours?
- If yes to any of the above, the patient should be examined
by a physician promptly.
- If no, then follow the instructions below.
ACTIVITIES: Children should stay home from school till fever
is gone. Decrease activity until feeling better. You do not have
to stay in bed if you feel like being up.
- SPONGING: If the temperature is over 104 degrees Fahrenheit and
not coming down after giving Tylenol, a patient can be placed in a tub with
a few inches of lukewarm water. Splash the water over most of the body
surface for up to 45 minutes. Contact the clinic if this does not help
bring the temperature down. Do not use rubbing alcohol.
MEDICATIONS: You should take Tylenol
(acetaminophen) or Motrin (ibuprofen) for temperatures over
102°F. Most patients will not need medication for fever under 102
degrees unless there are also aches and pains.
- TYLENOL: The following dosages are to be used every
One regular strength Tylenol (or acetaminophen) tablet 325mg = 2 Junior Tylenol Meltaways = 4 Children's Tylenol Meltaways = 2 teaspoons Tylenol Suspension.
- For 6-11 pounds give ¼ teaspoon of Tylenol suspension.
- For 12-17 pounds give ½ teaspoon of Tylenol suspension.
- For 18-23 pounds give ¾ teaspoon of Tylenol suspension.
- For 24-35 pounds give 1 teaspoon of Tylenol suspension.
- For 36-47 pounds give 1½ teaspoon of Tylenol suspension.
- For 48-59 pounds give 4 Tylenol 80mg chewable tablets.
- For 60-71 pounds give 5 Tylenol 80mg chewable tablets.
- For 72-95 pounds give 6 Tylenol 80mg chewable tablets.
- For over 95 pounds give 2 regular strength Tylenol.
- IBUPROFEN: When Tylenol does not keep the fever down,
you can also use ibuprofen (such as Advil or Motrin). The
following doses may be given by mouth every 6 hours if temperature is over 102°F.
- For 12-17 pounds give ½ teaspoon Children's Motrin (100mg/5ml).
- For 18-23 pounds give ¾ teaspoon.
- For 24-35 pounds give 1 teaspoon.
- For 36-47 pounds give 1½ teaspoons.
- For 48-59 pounds give 2 teaspoons (or 1 Motrin IB tablet).
- For 60-71 pounds give 2½ teaspoons.
- For 72-95 pounds give 3 teaspoons.
- For over 95 pounds give 2 Motrin IB tablets (or 4 teaspoons).
DIET: Drink plenty of fluids as this helps decrease
the fever and prevent dehydration.
CONTACT YOUR DOCTOR FOR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. The temperature is staying over 103 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. You see no improvement after 24 hours.
3. The patient has seizure, twitching, or unusual behavior.
4. There is excessive vomiting or diarrhea, unusual pain, difficulty breathing, or stiff neck.
5. Signs of dehydration occur: Dry mouth, tearless or sunken eyes, little or no urine.
Return to the Home Page
This page was last updated on 24 February 2012.